A couple of years ago my best friends took me to a cupcake decorating class, where we all learnt how to pipe and decorate cupcakes. After that I started to make cupcakes more often because you can decorate the cupcakes in different ways and get creative!
Recently I made some banana cupcakes, with a caramel centre. I decorated these with vanilla butter cream and a miniature stroopwafel.
I used the banana cupcake recipe from Hummingbird Bakery – adapted it by filling the centre with caramel and decorating it with a stroopwafel.
- 225g softened unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 225g mashed bananas
- 500g sifted icing sugar
- 160g softened unsalted butter
- 50ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tin carnation caramel
- 6 mini stroopwafels
- Pre heat the oven to 175 degrees/ gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
- Combine butter, sugarm flour and eggs in a large bowl, beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth
- Stir in the mashed bananas until well combined
- Spoon evenly into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and let them cool down
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together on medium speed until mixture comes together.
- Reduce the speed, and slowly pour in the milk. Add the vanilla essence. Once this has been incorporated turn this back up to high speed
- Continue beating the buttercream for at least 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy
- Hollow out the centre of the cupcakes and add a teaspoon of caramel, replace the cut out pice of cake on top
- Spoon the buttercream into a icing bag and pipe this on top of the cupcakes.
- Drizzle with the remaining caramel. Cut the stroopwafel in half and place this on the buttercream
- Using super ripe bananas (with brown spots) will give the cupcakes a stronger banana taste and smell
- I brought these mini stroopwafels from Starbucks
- You can use other fillings of your choice to fill the cupcakes